Thursday, November 1, 2007

Wiki



Now this is interesting! I had had the mistaken impression that the only wiki around was the Wikipedia which is a source I sometimes use in finding information for people. The thing that is interesting for me is that all wikis are collaborative websites where people edit and add information. Of course it would be open to malicious input, but I am impressed that steps have been made to watch for this.

I see that wikis provide a very positive avenue for sharing information between members of the community and within the workplace. Perhaps ACL needs to look into this for upgrading exchange of information on various projects that people are working on together? The enthusiasm that people feel when they share useful things would keep it fluent and up to date.

One of the authors makes the very good point that people ( including me!), have the mistaken impression that only technological whizzes can create a website. Now with this wiki tool anyone can contribute to the site.

As far as libraries go I can see that the now pretty defunct "fitch" thing that we had could work the wiki way on our website and intranet.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad you found something new and possibly useful! :)